Monday, April 03, 2006

River Report and DNR Meeting

The river is up a little (less than a foot) and at BRL it is cloudy green instead of clear green.

The meeting about the future plans for the Shut-Ins was interesting. I expected them to have some proposals, but instead they really wanted to hear what we thought. I hope all of you have or will fill out the survey and I really think that if you could make it to the St. Louis meeting on Wednesday you would find it interesting. There are going to be two follow up meetings, one in June and one in August and then the final plan will be presented in September.

My main recommendation was that they find some land at a higher elevation to build the campground. Problem is, the high land we think of as part of the park is a designated wilderness area and other land that could be used is west of highway N. Also learned about the possible rerouting of the Ozark Trail. Even though I'm not sure how my old body would react to heading up Proffit Mt. I sure look forward to the chance to hike up the scour. I think it will be interesting to visit the park this summer, even though there will be a lot of restrictions as to what one can do. There seemed to be some concern about making the Memorial Day deadline to let the public back in, but I'm sure that they will have some sort of program available by that day. There are a lot of park employees and contract employees working very hard to see this area recover and I hope you all can come down this summer and see where they are with their work and what their plans are for the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter