Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Q & A

I received the following email today.

I am just curious what your thoughts are on the new clean-up
schedule and whether or not
it will help or hurt the river.
Fortunately for us we have a couple of months to hope

that the river clears up.

Well, I'm not as optimistic as I was a couple of months ago.
We have only had one rain that produced enough water to get
the river up and moving. The storm last night missed us and
with the July like weather we are already very dry.
I understand Ameren's position that the river will never
clear as long as there is a lot of clay in the bottom of the
lower reservoir. I have no way of knowing what the reservoir
cleanup will do to the river, but a couple of weeks ago a
firm came in with what amounted to an industrial pool vac
and did a demo cleanup up on a small section of the East Fork.
From the video I saw they did not accomplish much and the
river was cloudy from their efforts. So in January I said
that I didn't think any of you should buy a new swim suit.
I think that is still good advice. If you came down today,
the river at the lodge is not to bad, but I don't know what
the work on the reservoir will bring.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We appreciate your honesty...I know this time is something that you could ever imagined in our lifetimes. Question? Do you think there is anything they could do short term to clear things up, say, in time for the summer? Then, try a longer range plan once the summer season has concluded...I'm sure you guys (BRL included) are thinking..Can this be like this for the next 20 years???? People will not be quick to judge things for this year, but may choose to go somewhere else once they see & experience the river this year...That would be devestating..because you still need people to create the atmosphere we all know and love every year..

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger staff said...

I wa hoping that they would wait until Fall to clean the lower reservoir, but that doesn't look like the plan. And I realize that once the clay is out of the reservoir the river will start to clean itself with each good rain. I don't think it will be anything near 20 years and you have to realize that the West Fork and Middle Fork are still as clear as always and that those two forks have more water than the East Fork. So below Twin Rivers the full river is not like the East Fork on Highway 21. In a strange way all of you in the river is going to help clean it up. Just get out, have fun, and stir things up and that clay will be headed to Clearwater Lake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter