Tuesday, March 18, 2008

High Water

Since I'm not in Lesterville to know exactly what is going on this prediction is a little iffy. That said, if you look at the river gauge on the East Fork I think this could be as big a flood as the November, 1993 flood. I'll bet that Twin Rivers and Riversedge are already under water and Parks Bluff and Bearcats have there eye on things. This looks like a big one. In November of 93 was the only time that Peola got out of its banks and was a threat to our buildings. We have had over 4 inches here in Springfield and most of the river south of us are at flood stage.

Wednesday morning, just had an email from Bearcats Campground. They said it was bad, water to the ceiling of their office and their cook shack and pavilion are gone. I'm sure that no one can get to most of the other campgrounds to check on the damage. For two years everyone has said that the river needed a good flushing out to move the Taum Sauk silt down river. We'll we got our flushing. Hope everyone is OK. I plan on being back in Lesterville next Wednesday. Hope I can get back to my home. The 93 flood did a lot of damage near our low water bridge and it was days before we could drive in or out. This event makes our move to Springfield look like a wise one. I'm too old for this type of event.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone remember a time when all rivers in the MO Ozarks were in flood stage during the same week? I think everything south of I-70 is out or going out of it's banks in the next few days. It seems like an extraordinary event.
It will be interesting floating this summer to see the damage and if any river channels have changed.

Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter