Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Proposal For The "Project Enhancements"

The following is from a three page proposal that I sent to Ameren and FERC on Monday.

Before making my proposals and suggestions for the project enhancements I would like to ask how Ameren and/or FERC are going to define “near the project”. Are you going to use zip codes (e.g. 63654), phone exchanges (e.g. 637), school district boundaries (e.g. Lesterville R-4), radius from the plant office (e.g. 10 miles radius within Reynolds County), or are you going to make a determination for each proposal.

Under project enhancement number one, Economic Development and Quality of Life, I would like to propose that Ameren provide a broadband network for those persons residing near the Taum Sauk project. Ameren already has experience with providing BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) in its test market in Cape Girardeau and it recently announced activity in MDU’s (multi dwelling units) in St. Louis. Ameren has an affiliate called Ameren Energy Communications that has the expertise to approach a project of this scale. I realize that Ameren does not own or operate the majority of electric utility lines near the project, but I feel that if Ameren was providing the equipment and expertise that Black River Electric Cooperative would be open to this venture.

If Black River Electric did not want to provide access to their lines I would propose that Ameren investigate providing Broadband access by WiMAX. In areas without pre-existing physical cable or telephone networks, WiMAX is a viable alternative for broadband access that has hitherto been unavailable.

I also made some proposals for the museum that is located at the Taum Sauk plant. I ended my letter with this paragraph.

Finally, I feel that the funds spent for “project enhancements” should apply to the largest population possible of those persons living “near the project” as well as those individuals visiting the Black River area for recreational activities. I am opposed to giving Reynolds County elected officials any special consideration in deciding how funding for local improvements will be spent. Their requests should not receive any special ranking when deciding how to proceed with the “project enhancements”.

The County Commisioners in their letter to Sen. Bond refered to "community improvments", but this phrase was never used in the Agreement between Ameren and FERC. I sure don't think the money should be used for dump trucks and asphalt.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter