Saturday, February 24, 2007

Broadband

John Chambers, the CEO of Cisco, gave a talk to the National Governors Association this afternoon. Among other things, he challenged the governors to get broadband to every home in the next 4 to 6 years. His reasons were much the same as my argument for Lesterville, education, health, economic development, and better government. Anybody want to start an office pool on when broadband is really available to every home in rural Missouri. Unless some new technology comes along I still think that in 2020 there will vast areas of Missouri without broadband.

4 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making broadband access universal in Missouri is the number one goal of the Missouri Enterprise Technology Association, a coalition of IT companies. I'm thinking 2012.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger staff said...

Given that we only got private phone lines 10 years ago (as opposed to 4 party lines) I'm skeptical. DLS would only cover a small part of the local area, the cable system stopped 2 miles from my house in 1983 and has never been extended. I wouldn't want 2012 in the office pool.

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My local state rep (near St. Louis) has a bill in Jeff City that every drugstore in the state selling pseudaphedrine would have to be online during all business hours to access a centralized state sales reporting system to help with the war on meth.

When I told him most of Missouri (geographically) doesn't have broadband/DSL/satellite access, but the store would have to tie up their phoneline or quit selling those cold medicines, he told me I was mistaken. I couldn't convince him otherwise.

Maybe he should be sent on a junket to Lesterville.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger staff said...

That doesn't surprise me, when I moved to Lesterville in 1983 I was concerned about the lack of public broadcasting. In Iowa there was a state wide system from both radio and TV. So when I met my state rep I ask him about this, and he said that there was public radio because the radio waves belonged to the public. He had no idea what NPR or PBS was. I think our current rep and senator are aware of the problem, they just don't have the clout to get anything done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter